Sunday, May 23, 2010

Book Review: Jim Butcher, Jenna Black

I know this entry is late. I had fully intended on posting about the character modeling, but there's been some barriers. So instead, you get another book review post :).

Small Favor

The bad guys are back, and stronger than ever in the 10th book of the Dresden Files. The fae are back and calling in favors, and as usual, Harry pisses off everyone and somehow makes it out alive. The ending has some beautiful irony, though it brought up something that apparently was in one of the shorts I missed.

Turn Coat
There have been hints of a conspiracy behind the scenes in the other Dresden Files books. In this one, we see it come to life. My favorite character gets some awesome scenes in this book, and there are some AMAZING sequences when Harry walks in on his allies in compromising situations. There's also some big mysteries thrown around w/o explanation, with the hope that they'll come up again in the future.

Changes
The latest book in the Dresden Files starts and ends with a spoiler. It's a really tough one to talk about without giving stuff away. Some thinly veiled awesomenesses include my favorite character coming up with a spell titled "The One Woman Rave", which leads to a sequence with another character dancing while swordfighting. Pure awsomesauce. Harry actually mouths off to Odin, and gets away with it. Yes THE Odin. This book saw a few instances of magic that didn't click, or the MC getting around limitations through sheer contrariness. Some of it I'm not sure how I feel about, but it's worth investigating in the future.


The Devil Inside
The first book of the Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist series by Jenna Black. A good chunk of the reason I picked up this book is because the author will be signing in my town on Thursday. After reading the book, I'm pretty excited :). The story takes place in a world where possession is legal, as long as the host consents. So Demons are everywhere, and the heroine isn't a fan. She works as an Exorcist, getting rid of demons that are illegally possessing someone, or who have killed. And then she finds out she's possessed herself, without her knowledge. That part strained believability a little, but for the most part it was a very enjoyable read.


Modeling
So just for completeness, since I was intending to talk about it, I'll speak for a bit on what happened with the modeling. So I've finished the torso, and started on the arms and legs. I don't remember if that was in the last picture I posted. This weekend, I started in on the head and found out that my reference images are too far off to be helpful. I tried moving ahead anyway, but all the proportions are off and, to be frank, it looks pretty terrible. I'll have to do some thinking about how I want to progress.

No comments: