Friday, February 19, 2010

Writing Experiment: Scenes and Sequels

So I had this entire experiment planned. I started working on it, but it was harder than I expected. That being said, I still gleaned some interesting information.

As part of this experiment, I looked at the first chapter of two books: Fool Moon by Jim Butcher, and Haunted by Kelley Armstrong. The goal was to split the first chapter into scenes and sequels. I wanted to see if this Scene and Sequel idea transfered between authors. I also wanted to get an idea for how many scenes & sequels fit into a chapter. In my first draft, I tended towards the several (usually around 5), but I also had no sequels (leading to the common conception that my characters were flat and underdeveloped).

So both of the books I looked at seemed to have roughly 1 scene and 1 (short) sequel in the chapter. The second chapter was starting to look similar, but I didn't manage to go into more detail. Still, short entry and food for thought.

No comments: