Saturday, February 13, 2010

Writing Experiment: Characters

So I've posted a few pieces about writing advice. Let's try taking some of it, or at least using it. So let's take a look at one of my charactes from my book, and try and flesh her out a bit.

First though, let's see which portions I'm going to nab.

Goals / Motivation / Conflict / Stakes
This is a good first step, and I think it'll be a good start to the character.

Concept

I'll probably start with this one. Having a quick summary of the character can't hurt.

Tags & Traits
So i like the idea, but I don't know if I'll take it quite as far. One of the things I want is that Magic in my world will leave a sign, a Tell, as well as a tattoo of power. I got this idea from the RPG Sorcerer. So I'll include a tell and a tattoo. Since this is a fantasy novel, and there will be some martial conflict, I will also include a signature weapon, and the two main manifestations of her magic.

I might revisit Tags & Traits later, depending on how this works out.

The Character: Jeshi, the Bloodmage

For the purposes of the exercise, let's only try and stat her out in terms of the second book, since she's the narrator. I picked her, rather than the narrator of the first book, because I've a less clear picture of her.
  • Concept - A girl lost her memories to chaos magic. Magic finds her and brings her back on the quest. 
  • Goals - Find the lost city of Atlantis / Find the Crystal Sword / Find the cure for the sickness
  • Motivation - Save her ex / Restore the royal bloodline
  • Conflict - Adrielle is summoning daemons / Jeshi doesn't remember her own power
  • Stakes - Kale's life / Rule of Chaos / Loss of the blood of Kings
  • Tell - Fire-red eyes, hair turns to flame under strong emotion
  • Tattoo - Fire on the palms of her hands
  • Weapon - Spear
  • Element - Fire
  • Power - Blood (Can mimic another power w/ sample of their blood.)

Well, it certainly seems like a start. I'm not sure I could writer her any better now. Maybe tags and traits won't be a bad idea after all. But I've already spent a whole day on this, and so I should let the post stand for a moment and think about it. 

No comments: