Friday, December 31, 2010

Iron King by Julie Kagawa

So I saw this blog post in my drafs folder from April, apparently I never got around to posting it. This is a quick high-level review for The Iron King, by Julie Kagawa.

This book has taken me a few weeks to get into, but it's worked itself up to an interesting story. Two things of note, which I hope to discuss more in the future are:

  • Mab, Queen of Air and Darkness - Many fiction stories I've read seem to feature the Queen of Air and Darkness as the leader of the Unseelie court. But my Ireland-addicted friend said that she has seen no basis in Myth. Interesting.
  • The Nevernever - Both dresden and this book call the home of the Faerie the Nevernever. I wonder if that has basis in myth.
The overall story isn't the most memorable, but it wasn't notably bad either. As I said, I read this back in April, so it's not very coherent. What I do remember of the book, is that I was a bit disappointed in the ending. Unlike Demons Lexicon, where the ending confused me, this one was sad because of unanswered questions. Something came up early enough in the novel that I thought it would have come up before the end. But it didn't. There are sequels to the book, and I will probably check them out eventually. In the meantime though, it's not very high on my todo list.

No comments: